This morning's presentation by Dr. Trevor Hancock, and the panel presentations were excellent. You can download them all from the NRS site so I won't try to reiterate them here, but a few comments jumped out:
- We need to unlearn medicine in order to learn about health
- Poverty is an epidemic greater than SARS and HIV
- The healthy choices need to be the easy choices
- We can't move large numbers of people to healthy neighbourhoods, so we need to create better neighbourhoods
- "Don't smoke" was a simple message. Eat healthy and be active are much more complex
- Human health is completely dependent on ecosystem health
- Recreation has a role to play that no one else can play but we need to figure out what that role is.