Manager, Aquatics (Regular, Full-Time)
Expiry Date: Friday, September 8, 2017
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
The City of New Westminster has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, passionate and service-focused individual. Step into a rewarding leadership position as Manager, Aquatics. Canada Games Pool is a premier aquatic and fitness destination, renowned for its innovative and unique lesson program, customer service and quality instruction. The renewal of Canada Games Pool has been identified as a strategic priority by the City’s Mayor and Council, and as Manager, Aquatics you will play a key role in shaping the future of this facility. As a key member of the leadership team within the Parks and Recreation Department, this position is accountable for providing ongoing leadership and management of the Canada Games Pool programs, rentals, services, partnerships, leases, and facility operations. This position also oversees two seasonal outdoor pool facilities.
Key accountabilities include: With overall responsibility for ensuring high-quality customer service, community engagement, effective resource management and effective labour relations within the assigned portfolio, your responsibilities will include:
- Leading and supporting staff in areas of collaboration with external stakeholders such as community organizations, user groups and the general public.
- Ensuring that community recreation needs are met, ensuring the development of programs and services that benefit the community.
- Anticipating and forecasting customer requirements; analyzing trends, utilizing key performance indicators, benchmarking and defining quality standards for customer service, and creating new solutions to meet customer needs.
- Developing work plans and allocating resources efficiently to ensure programs, services, and initiatives meet community needs.
- Leading or participating in the development of plans for changes to City recreation services and facilities.
- Hiring, supervising, training, evaluating and coaching staff, developing work plans and job performance expectations, developing succession programs and initiatives, and managing employee and labour relations issues.
- Leading a team that includes 120 auxiliary positions (aquafit, fitness advisors, cashier attendants, pool service workers, and lifeguard/swim instructors), 15 full time and regular part time staff (head guards, instructional supervisors, and pool service workers). Direct reports include Assistant Manager, Facility Clerks, Building Service Supervisor, and Fitness Programmer.
- Actively participating in the development and delivery of strategic plans, policies and procedures for the division and department and reporting on progress.
- Demonstrating effective verbal and written communication skills to provide advice, guidance, and policy interpretation on matters related to the portfolio.
- Developing, managing and monitoring multiple budgets and allocating financial assets and resources effectively, ensuring revenue projections are achieved.
- Managing aquatic and fitness facilities through preventative and scheduled maintenance, planning and budgeting for regular and minor capital maintenance projects, and sourcing for new products and suppliers to improve efficiencies.
- Providing leadership support for organizational and departmental initiatives as required.
- The successful candidate will use independent judgment, action and initiative in supervising the facilities, and administering a comprehensive program.
Skills & Personal Attributes: The successful candidate is a progressive, strategic, community-centric and innovative leader with a strong combination of community development, operational management, staff and budget management experience and the ability to maintain and enhance service offerings and business outcomes.
Key experience, skills and knowledge include:
- A track record of successfully providing the community with excellent customer service through engaging staff.
- Strong experience in leading an organization towards a culture of engagement and performance using industry best practices, key performance indicators and continuous process improvement.
- Excellence in relationship development and management.
- Considerable knowledge of aquatic and pool standards.
- Strong experience in written and verbal communication.
Training, Education & Experience:
The preferred candidate will possess: a Degree in recreation administration, business administration, the social sciences or other related discipline and considerable related work experience in recreation including 10 years of progressive management and leadership experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The City of New Westminster offers a very competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. The successful applicant must be willing to undergo a police information check.
If you are seeking an exciting opportunity to make a “difference through people”, please apply by sending your resume and covering letter quoting competition #17-87, no later than September 8, 2017 to the following:
Human Resources Department City of New Westminster 511 Royal Avenue New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9 Fax: (604) 527-4619 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The City of New Westminster is committed to employment equity. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.