Research from the Benefits Hub
- Student Outcomes and Natural Schooling
2016 | England
- Outdoor learning has a positive impact on children's behaviour, social skills, health and wellbeing, resilience, confidence and sense of place.
- Refuges of Local Resilience: Community Gardens
2015 - USA
- In the wake of Hurricane Sandy community gardens functioned as multi-purpose community refuges which hosted meaningful and restorative greening practices, and developed supportivecommunities.
Visit our entire collection of research on the family and community benefits of engaging in leisure and active Living
Resources from the National Recreation Database
- Stepping Up : Making Physical Activity the Easy Choice in the ...
Halifax Regional Municipality
A physical activity strategy for the Halifax region that works with many stakeholders to create networks, share ideas and resources, and help plan opportunities to make physical activity more accessible.
- Mental Health: Challenges, Implications and Opportunities for Community Recreation / Santé mentale : difficultés, conséquences et ouvertures pour les loisirs communautaires
Dalhousie University | 2011
Identifies the importance of recreation for mental health and how community-based recreation professionals can help people live their lives as fully as possible outside the health system. Examines importance of ensuring children and youth have access to supportive environments, and of identifying and addressing the risks associated with some forms of recreation.
Designed to Move: Active Cities
Designed to Move | 2015
A report "to provide a blueprint for creating active cities, whatever their size and wherever in the world they may be." The research is clear on this. Cities that make physical activity a priority, convert existing spaces into active spaces, and design environments for people to be active will create a legacy for physical activity.
Find more resources related to recreation capacity by searching the National Recreation Database