Framework for Recreation in Canada 2015: Pathways to Wellbeing - Final
The first part of this paper provides a refreshed definition of recreation and explores the challenges and benefits of recreation today. It provides the rationale for investing in a renewed recreational strategy now, and describes the need for collaboration with other initiatives in a variety of sectors.
The second part provides a new vision and suggests some common ways of thinking about the renewal of recreation, based on clear goals and underlying values and principles.
The Framework describes five goals and priorities for action under each goal. The goals are to:
- Foster active, healthy living through recreation.
- Increase inclusion and access to recreation for populations that face constraints to participation.
- Help people connect to nature through recreation.
- Ensure the provision of supportive physical and social environments that encourage participation in recreation and build strong, caring communities.
- Ensure the continued growth and sustainability of the recreation field.
This paper is a joint initiative of the Interprovincial Sport and Recreation Council and the Canadian Parks and Recreation Association.
French version also attached: Sur la voie du bien-être : Cadre stratégique 2015 pour le loisir au Canada