Graffiti Art Programming
Organization Sponsor: GRAFFITI ART PROGRAMMING INC.
Graffiti Art Programming Inc. (GAP Inc.) is a community youth art center dedicated to the creation of a safe and accepting environment for the development of all forms of artistic expression. GAP Inc. uses art as a tool for community development, social change, and individual growth.
Graffiti Art Programming Inc. (better known as GAP Inc., Graffiti Gallery and the gallery) is located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, at the corner of Higgins Avenue and Gomez Street. Graffiti Art Programming Inc. is a not-for-profit community youth art centre, using art as a tool for community, social, economic and individual growth. It is the only one of its kind in North America for artists of all ages and genres from traditional art, to urban art (including hip hop art, graffiti art, street art), to Aboriginal art, to contemporary art, to performance art.
We are dedicated to:
- the promotion of youth art as its own genre
- providing a place where young artists can take creative risks
- young artists who are working outside institutional expectations
- promoting the early stage developmental benefits of art programming for our young people
- neighborhood beautification and community development through public art
- free art lessons to young people who cannot afford high tuitions and supply costs
- fostering a sense of creative cooperation and self healing.
AP Inc. is pleased to offer the following arts, cultural, and educational programs to Winnipeg’s Youth community: The st.ART Project (free urban art workshops), The Urban Canvas Program (professional youth artist training opportunities), Customized Programs (for Organizations seeking customized Graffiti Art Programming Inc. opportunities), and Tours (for school and community organizations).
Change for the Better
Volunteers are an important part of GAP IncPat Lazo has remained with the gallery as our curator and artistic director and that his growing skills have established the Graffiti Gallery as a premier gallery of its kind within not only the city of Winnipeg, but the country. His hard work and dedication have brought many high caliber artists and exhibits to the city that would otherwise never have been seen. He has curated or assisted in curating exhibits for hundreds of emerging young, contemporary artists in all fields of artistic endeavour, from music to live performance to painting to sculpture and including a number of art openings/exhibits by high school youth in the neighbourhood.
We currently maintain 33 weekly art workshops out of 13 art studios in Central, East and North End Winnipeg.13 of our artists over the years have enrolled in the Fine Arts program at the University of Manitoba or Creative Communications at RRCC. Eight have graduated. Over the years more than 250 emerging artists have performed or shown their work through the gallery.13 of our artists over the years have enrolled in the Fine Arts program at the University of Manitoba or Creative Communications at RRCC. Eight have graduated. Over the years more than 250 emerging artists have performed or shown their work through the gallery.
Graffiti Art Programming Inc. Goals:
- To create and maintain a safe, supportive and an open door environment
- To deliver programming and services that are innovative, creative and expressive within an artistic genre and venue
- To develop and implement marketing strategies that promote youth artists and their genre
- Increase the profile of the organization
- To develop and enhance capacity building skills, and abilities that encourages self esteem, work
ethic and work experience fostering a sense of creative cooperation and self healing
- To create the opportunity…
June of 1998